Tuesday 23 October 2007

Another Chewer

But not of the tooth variety. The first of this years competitions is coming up at my club (Camera - but they call it Photographic Society - I will say no more). Anyway I am not very good with pressure and after the judging I usually find that I have chewed through the programme, have eaten two Turkish Delights without being aware so hence no pleasure, and the thumb of my glove has been sucked to near death.

Why? Because Judges are horrible, completely and utterly horrible (of course they are fantastic if they place you). So why do I feel the need to go out on a limb. This is one of my entries for Thursday night (tune in on Friday). You either like it or you hate it. I love it but I know exactly what the judge will say - the background is burnt out - which it is but my theory is that it makes the shapes in the foreground more interesting. Anyway we shall see.

Oh and on the transport front - things are no better, still subsidence on the line so by the time I get on the train its absolutely chocker. Its a game of Russian Roulette - I moved up the carriage to let a girl use my"hanging space" and I thought - yes someone in the block of seats I have just moved from will get off at the next station and yes they did (just like why does the bread always fall jamside down) and yes the girl got the seat - what would have been worse though is that she could have looked at me and thought this older lady could do with sitting down - no win no win - and actually this Pixie is not that old - promise.

4 comments:

Maxine Perella said...

i like the photo - did you take it with a manual SLR or digital? i miss taking shots with my manual olympus then developing them in pickled onion juice trays. them were the days.

is your club full of old men who delight in takng "still life" pics of tree trunks and garden sheds where they can spend half a life setting up the shot and THEN another half day altering it in photoshop. being of the photo-journalist reportage brigade, it left me feeling quite depressed.

Pixie said...

I have a Canon 5D DSLR which is fab. I would loved to have started in the dark room but it just didn't happen. Yes my Club is full of old men - there is only another girl there besides me! and its a nightmare because they can get so up themselves if I try and do anything out of the ordinary - but it seems to have become my mission in life to piss them all off. Glad you like photo - watch this space for "how I did" on Friday!

ArcticFox said...

I am clearly out of my depth in many respects.... I'm a humble (extremely) amateur!!

Pixie: There's lots of my photos (some good some bad) on flickr if you didn't already get a look at them:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/arctic--fox/sets/

Maxxo...yes I take lots of photos of trees!! GRRRR - I DO NOT however edit any of them or spend more than one minute in composition!! Maybe that's where I am going SO wrong!!

Pixie: Nice pic BTW and good luck with the comp.

FoX

Pixie said...

Hey man don't be daft - as long as you have a passion that is the greatest tool. I am self taught (I have read a lot of Scott Kelbys books.) I have to have a "proper" job to enable me to feed my habit. Thats why I got into wedding photography to enable me to buy my lenses so I actually haven't made any proper money!

Have just come back from trying to photograph "autumn" in the local park and ended up photographing wrought iron benches and a couple of dead leaves but fantastic fun - I love it.

Mmm Thursday - I have 6 pictures in 3, mono and 3 colour although am into doing black and white with one element of colour so I am giving that a try for the first time. The Judge will probably think its shite x

I will check out your Flickr - I have one too but cannot rember what its under - I will post it later.

Pixie